I Wanted to be a Bratz Doll as a Kid… now I am One
Bratz Dolls were a Major part of my childhood. The first award I ever received was in my art class for the best mask in the fifth grade. I had created a paper mache mask of my favorite Bratz doll, Sasha, the Black one (DUH). She had big red glittery lips and my 11-year-old soul never felt so proud. That feeling I had as a little girl still sticks with me to this day because it’s a prime example of why representation matters.
I’ve had big lips all my life and before white girls started going through this racial identity crisis big lips weren’t viewed as beautiful. And with Jay-Z being the hottest rapper at the time I was often made fun of for having bigger lips. By the time I got to middle school, my lips were often hyper-sexualized by the white boys at the PWI I was attending because DSL or dick sucking lips became everyone’s favorite new term, but that’s a whole other hot mess of a story. Dumb ass white boys aside, Bratz dolls were the first dolls I have her identified with. They were multi-talented in sports and academics but they were the girls with the passion for fashion, the epitome of Y2K, and they had big beautiful juicy lips! And that’s why I’m paying homage to my favorite childhood toy this Halloween season.
- Foundation: Nars Soft Matte Complete Foundation ( $53 )
- Concealer: Radiant Creamy Concealer ( $18 )
- Bronzer: Midas Cosmetics Dusk Face Palette ( $42 )
- Eyeshadow: Obaa Beauty Eye Am Palette ( $25 )
- Eyeshadow: Amrezy Palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills ( $65 )
- Eye Brows: Cover Girl Easy Breezy Volumizing Brow Gel ( $10 )
- Gloss: Too Faced Rich & Dazzling High-Shine Sparkling Lip Gloss ( $22)
- Highlighter: Cover FX perfect light highlighting palette (discontinued but Huda beauty makes a bomb 3D Cream and Powder Highlighter Palette as an alternative)
- Eyeliner: Babe Lash Liquid Eyeliner ( $29 )
- Eyelashes: Laflare 3D Lashes in style CG 201 (pricing unavailable)
- Lip Liner: Hola Chola Lip Liner Colour Pop (Discontinued but the Mac Teyana Taylor Lip Pencil in the color cyber world is a great alternative ($ 19)
- Lip Stick: Huda Beauty Power Bullet Matte Lipstick in the color prom night ( $33 )
I braided two packs of RAYIIS Ombre Kanekalon Synthetic Braiding Hair Extensions in Black-Dark brown-Light brown.